About Our Club
History of the Club
Join the Club
Contact the Club
Previous Years Archives
Annual General Meeting
Voting for the 2018-19 Council
Phillip Law Medal
Obituaries and Tributes
Stories, History, Images
Cultural Gifts Program
ANARE Ski Club
70th Year Macquarie Island Commemoration
MACCA 70th ANNIVERSARY DINNER UPDATE!
All is in readiness for the ANARE Club's Macquarie
Island 70th Anniversary Dinner. We have squeezed in 230 people (and have a
waitlist!). Let us know however if you want a ticket as we may get last minute
We have 25 pioneers & veterans attending (with 4 others represented by their families (1948-1965).
We are delighted the Lieutenant Governor of Tasmania and other dignitaries will also be attending.
We have three speakers:
- Tim Bowden (history of Macca)
- Keith Springer (eradication of feral animals), and
- Rob Bryson (redevelopment plans)
There will be a photo exhibition of old & new images & some great auction & raffle items on offer, including two return overflights of the Antarctic!!!
There is a beautiful oil painting by Neil Roberts of an albatross, prints, books, stickers & cloth badges on sale.
It promises to be a memorable & fun night.
If you are coming to the dinner you will by now have received the update outlining time of arrival, dress code etc.
Please let us know if you haven't received this Email:
We so look forward to meeting you all at the dinner if you are attending
David Parer, Liz Parer-Cook & David Dodd
Photo by David Parer, Macquarie Island, 28th ANARE, 1975
6 August 2018
5pm - 11.30pm
Hobart Function &
1 Elizabeth St Pier,
Join us for a very special evening to commemorate the 70th anniversary this year of
the establishment of Macquarie Island Research Station. Meet surviving members of
some of the early wintering parties together with supernumeraries and ships' crews.
There will be dinner, speakers, a photographic exhibition, film clips screened,
sales of prints, commemorative memorabilia with a raffle and an auction.
The event will be open to all ANARE Club Members, expeditioners and their partners
interested in the Antarctic & sub-Antarctic. A special invitation is extended
veterans from 1948 -1958 to attend and recount their experiences.
Dinner will be a two-course meal (main & dessert) with drinks at bar prices.
There will be a free brochure celebrating the history from the establishment
of the first base in 1948 to present day, as well as news of the redevelopment
the future Station.
ANARE Club Members: $80; Non-Members: $85
Don't miss out on the fun, come along with your mates & family & join us in
celebrating ANARE, Macquarie Island and Station life there in the old (and
not so old) days.
When you book through TryBooking, you will also be able to advise us of your first
year in the Antarctic, seating preferences and any dietary requirements.
Alternatively, for those without internet access, payment can be made by cheque. Please post to:
The Treasurer - Macquarie Island 70th Celebration
ANARE Club Inc
PO Box 2534,
Please make sure you put in your name, the date of your first visit to the Antarctic & the station (if applicable) & any dietary preferences.
Archival Videos of Heard Island, 1947-2012 and other archival videos of the Australian Stations generally
If you have not yet caught up with the speeches and proceedings from the Heard Island Commemoration
held on 13 December 2017, check out the videos on VIMEO using this link
It is password protected so only available to members of the ANARE Club and those who attended the luncheon.
The password has been emailed to members and attendees of the Heard Island Commemoration..
If you are a member but do not have the password, please contact the organisers at email@example.com
This website is updated periodically, so keep an eye out for additional videos
There are eight new video clips, marked # 1- 8. Edited and prepared by Alan Ryan. Sourced from the AAD.
- # 1 The archival compilation shown at the Heard Island 70th Anniversary Commemoration, 1947 - 2016. MUTE. Duration 38'
- # 2 "Australian Diary" - the historic voyage of the Australian
National Antarctic Research Expedition to Heard Island, 1947. SOUND. Duration
- # 3 Rushes from first trip to Heard Island in 1947, including winter footage taken during 1948 on the island. MUTE. DURATION: 30'
- # 4 Scientists go to Antarctica to study the weather with Phil Law on board, probably 1949.DURATION: 2'53"
- # 5 Antarctic Voyage on Kista Dan, 1954-55. Closure of station on Heard Island and establishment of Mawson Station. DURATION: 35'
- # 6 Climbing Big Ben in 1965 - Warwick Deacock tells the story of a private expedition to Heard Island, and the first successful ascent of Big Ben. SOUND. DURATION: 6'
- # 7 Antarctic Expedition VK0EK to Heard Island, 2016. A group of amateur radio operators led by Dr Bob Schmieder spent 20 days on Heard Island in 2016. DURATION: 12'54"
- # 8 Australians in the Antarctic. The Nella Dan travels to the Antarctic and unloads at various ANARE Stations. SOUND. DURATION: 3'26"